PARENTS - Vapes and Cigarettes
Vaping & Cigarettes
Different products. Same dangers.
Vapes and cigarettes are a lot alike. They both put nicotine and cancer-causing chemicals in your body. And they are both highly addictive and dangerous for young people.
Many e-cigarettes used by teens are shaped like USB sticks, pens or even watches, which makes them easier for students to hide at school
A recent outbreak of serious lung illnesess linked to vaping products including e-cigarettes, has affected thousands of people, including healthy teens and young adults.
E-cigarettes, also know as "vapes," are becoming increasingly popular among teens. Infact, they are the most most commonly used tobaco product among both middle and high school students. You may have already seen or heard about students vaping in your school, but it is important to know that certain types of vapes can be used very discreetly.
Some teens report using e-cigaretts in school bathrooms and even in the classroom.
Vaping is addictive
- Vapes and e-juices contain nicotine, an addictive chemical that is extremely hard to quit
- Nicotine is the same drug used in cigarettes, cigars, and other tobacco products
- Some vape pods have as much nicotine as 20 cigarettes (a pack of cigarettes)
- Because your brain is still developing until your mid 20s, you have a greater risk of becoming addicted to nicotine
Vaping can harm your brain and the rest of your body
- Nicotine can harm your brain, including your memory and ability to learn
- It’s not water vapor—aerosol from vaping has cancer-causing chemicals
- Vapes can also contain harmful (and possibly harmful) ingredients such as:
- Very fine particles that can be inhaled deep into the lungs
- Flavoring such as diacetyl, a chemical linked to a serious lung disease
- Heavy metals such as nickel, tin, and lead
- Volatile organic compounds
- The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is the organization that makes sure drugs are safe and effective. This is called “regulating.” The FDA is supposed to regulate e-juices and vaping devices, but they haven’t started yet. So we can’t be sure what is in these products.
The vaping industry targets young people
- The tobacco and vaping industries target young people so you’ll become lifetime users addicted to their products. Cigarette makers own and invest in vape companies.
- The vaping industry makes their products taste like fruit or candy so you will want to try them
- If you vape, you are 4 times more likely to smoke cigarettes
What you can do
- Now that you know the facts, talk to your friends and family about the dangers of vaping.
- Get involved. Join your school’s SADD or 84 Chapter to spread the word. Don’t have an 84 Chapter? Learn more and start one!