The Southampton Historical Museum is located at 17 Meeting House Lane (off of Main Street) in Southampton. Since 1898, the museum has been preserving buildings and collecting artifacts and documents that help bring to life the traditions of the South Fork of Long Island.
Headquartered in the Albert Rogers Mansion, built in 1843 by a local whaling captain, the museum interprets regional history through changing exhibits and activities. The main museum complex contains a collection of small shops and other buildings that help recreate a vision of post-Civil War Southampton. There is a one-room schoolhouse, paint and wallpaper store, a blacksmith shop, and other small commercial buildings that were once the essence of small-town life. The museum is open year round. School and tour groups are welcome, by appointment. For additional information, please call 631-283-2494 or visit the website.