Tiana Life Saving Station - East Quogue - This station was originally erected on Tiana Beach in 1871. It was deactivated in 1937 but it was then reactivated from 1942 to 1944. During that last reactivation phase, it was manned by an all African-American crew. It was just the second all African-American crew after Pea Island, North Carolina. But it was abandoned in 1946 and later turned into a beach club, most recently it was known as Neptune Beach Club. It was purchased by the Town in 2014 for $3,200.000.00. Exterior restoration and structural repairs will go to bid in midsummer 2016 with an estimated completion date of June 2017 for this phase. Future uses include a self-guided exhibit about the life saving station and the men that manned it as well as a small concession. Project duration 12 months.
2017 September - The next phase of the project will focus on the interior finishes. Concession kitchen improvements will be funded by the parks department or other entity 2017 September- Award contract 2017 July- Final phase bids interior restoration 2017 Spring - Estimated completion exterior restoration 2016 June - Bids for exterior and structural repairs 2016 - Exterior restoration plans developed 2015 - Concept plan developed 2015- Non historic additions and interior items removed 2014- Purchased property