Lyzon Hat Shop - Located on Main Street in Hampton Bays, this building dates back to the 1850’s and once served as a shop for one- of- a- kind hats by Walter King! The wealthy and royalty were his customers. Now this historic building will be enjoyed for generations to come. This structure was donated to the Hampton Bays Historical Society about ten years ago and then turned over to the Town of Southampton for preservation. The Community Preservation Fund is overseeing the renovation. The Hampton Bays Historical Society will manage the exhibits and establish public visitation opportunities.
2018 - Spring, Landscaping is expected to be completed
2017 - Stewardship, Hampton Bays Historical and Preservation Society will include landscaping work
2017 - April, The Lyzon Hat Shop restoration has been completed.
2016 - Moved onto its new foundation next to the historic Prosper King House. Restoration begins.
2013 - Town acquires ownership of the building from the Hampton Bays Historical Society
2007 - Moved to current location and placed on steel beams to await new foundation
2005 - Town purchases land for relocation of Lyzon Hat Shop