Old Ponquogue Bridge - It was constructed as a draw bridge in 1930. But it fell into disrepair and it was replaced with an expansion bridge in 1986. Suffolk County gave the remaining north and south sections of the old bridge to the Town in 1988 to develop them into fishing piers, a boat launch and a diving pier. But those sections were badly damaged in Hurricanes Irene and Sandy, and most of the old sections were taken down leaving only the paved sections that jut out into the bay. However, there are many improvements to be done to preserve the pier sections of the bridge for future use. Currently, the town is awaiting funding approvals from FEMA.
1986 - County builds new expansion bridge
1988 - County donates old north and south sections to the Town for fishing and diving pier and boat launch.
2014 - Applied for FEMA Funding2016 - Awaiting approval of project plan from FEMA