HFLI needs your help!Honor Flight Long Island
has several volunteer support positions where a few extra hands could really make a difference for our Veterans
. Please take a look at the following, consider how you can get involved (bring a friend if you like) and talk to us if you can help in any way
1. VETERAN AIRPORT SEND OFF:
2. VETERAN AIRPORT WELCOME HOME:
- Setup for Veteran and Guardian check in. We have a check in crew but there is set up to be done the night prior and early am.
- Coordinating color guards, scouts, school groups, families and any other volunteers who choose to participate
3. HONOR FLIGHT REUNION EVENT:
- Selling t-shirts
- Maintaining open pathways for the growing number of participants at this event
- Making sure Vets find their rides/cars
- Arranging Bagpipers/or other music;
- About 6 - 8 weeks after every flight we invite all of the participating veterans and their families to a flight reunion. This is where we distribute personalized Tribute Photo Journals to each veteran, that another volunteer committee puts together. We need help with:
- Check-in - Greeting, recording attendance of our veterans, providing support to make this event successful
- Entertainment - Coordinating music, school group activities
- Refreshments - Soliciting donated food/drink items/ cake and coffee. Setting up items at the event
- Sales - Selling t-shirts, coins, flags, etc.
To get our VETERANs, the TRUE AMERICAN HEROES, down to DC we need funds! And there are a lot of great ideas out there but we need a committee to follow through. If this is something you do well, WE NEED YOUR ASSISTANCE in this area to sustain the great work our organization can accomplish!
For example: HFLI just received a $600 donation from a small church in which each parishioner took home a mason jar and filled it with loose change for 6 weeks. $600 pays for one Veteran plus half of the cost of another! If you can help us share this or ANY OTHER IDEAS with other organizations, or create new ideas, then please contact us!
We’re always looking for Veterans and now we’re encouraging applications from Korean War Veterans. When you see a guy with a military hat on anywhere, please ask him if he knows about Honor Flight!
If you’d like to discuss any of these options or find out more info, you’re invited to attend a meeting at MacArthur Airport on Thursday, April 13, at 7 pm.
If you cannot get to the airport that day that’s fine. In either case call or text Jeff Rosenking at 516 660-2202
to let him know you’ll be coming or to get some more info. Or email Vee Bennett at: email@example.com
Please join us and make a meaningful impact in the lives of our Veterans, who served our country and deserve our recognition. This will be an experience you will NEVER FORGET!
On behalf of our Honor Flight Long Island Veterans, we thank you in advance for your support!