The Southampton Town Clerk maintains death records for individuals who passed away within the Town of Southampton and outside of the 7-Incorporated Villages.
*For deaths that occurred in Southampton Hospital or The Hamptons Center for Rehabilitation, please contact the Southampton Village Clerk at 631-283-0247.
Obtaining a Death Certificate
The only individuals eligible to obtain a death certificate include:
- A person with a NYS Court Order
- The surviving spouse, parent, child or sibling of the decedent. Children & siblings must provide a copy of their birth certificate listing the parent(s).
- Other individuals who have a:
- A lawful representative of the spouse, parent or child of the deceased.
- A person with a documented lawful right or claim.
Applications must be submitted with a copy of one of the following forms of valid photo ID. (Expired photo ID will not be accepted.)
- Driver License
- DMV issued Non-Driver Photo ID
- U.S. Military-issued ID, photo ID
*If the applicant’s name on the ID differs from the decedent’s last name or from the applicant’s birth name, a copy of the applicant’s marriage certificate, legal name change paperwork, citizenship papers or naturalization papers may be required.
There is a fee of $10 per certified copy requested. Payment may be made by cash (in person) or check/money order payable to “Town of Southampton” accompanied by a self-addressed, stamped-envelope.